Monday, June 11, 2012

MAC Studio Fix Fluid vs Revlon Colorstay



Revlon Colorstay - 150 Buff - $36.95 AUD
MAC Studio Fix Fluid - nc15 - $49 AUD

If you watch my videos you probably have heard me mention both these foundations numerous times. Unfortunately I can't wear MAC foundations anymore as they break me out these days, but prior to this Studio Fix was a favourite for years. Today I will be comparing it to Revlon Colorstay, the perfect dupe in my opinion.

Coverage/Longivity:
Both foundations are buildable and provide a medium to full coverage matte/satin finish. I find they cover my pores, redness and acne scarring perfectly and have a great long lasting formula that doesn't budge on my skin during the day. If you have oily/combination skin I would still recommend powdering the t-zone, as I do find myself still getting that 3 pm shine. If you're after for a 'natural' looking foundation these might not be right for you, but if you are after a full coverage long lasting foundation, these are right up your alley. One thing to note is that both foundations have SPF, which can cause a white cast in photography.

Applicaton:
As these are a full coverage foundation, finding the right application technique is important to avoid the dreaded cake face. I find Revlon Colorstay a thinner consistency, but it does dry much quicker so you have to work a bit faster. I wouldn't recommend a generic foundation brush as it can leave the foundation looking quite uneven. I find a good dense buffing brush or stippling brush provides the best coverage and applies easiest. Both foundations do have a distinct makeup smell (especially MAC), however I don't the smell is disturbing or lingers.

Colour Range:
I love that MAC and Revlon have a wide shade selection ranging from both cool to warm undertones. I use nc15 in MAC, the lightest shade for those with yellow undertones and 150 Buff in Revlon is a perfect match. If you have a much darker skintone, I would recommend giving MAC a shot.

Price/Packaging:
Both foundations are on the pricey side, however since Revlon is a 'drugstore' product, it's quite easy to find it on sale. As you can see from the picture above, the packaging for both is a nice, sturdy glass bottle. Neither come with a pump which is quite disappointing as I find it's easy to accidently pour too much and waste product. One benefit from MAC is that they sell a seperate pump that you can use, however it is $10.

Overall Thoughts:
I love and would recommend both foundations. Unfortunately the MAC does break me out so I don't wear it anymore, thankfully Revlon is highly comparable and my go to foundation.

xx

1 comment:

  1. I just bought my first MAC foundation this weekend (plus concealer and MSF) and I have to say I just love it, I was literally dancing around the room with joy at the results it gave me!! I was wondering about the revlon colourstay but I thought if I'm going to splurge I may as well do it properly ;)

    ReplyDelete